Looks aren’t everything in this world, but having healthy skin can help. With models and celebrities constantly posing in front of the camera, there are beauty secrets you don’t know.
I know that a healthy diet and constant exercise can help people age gracefully and even look younger than their current age, but there also have to be some other secrets. Not every model and celebrity has time to maintain a healthy diet and exercise program.
The good news is that there are effective and simple ways to look your best. Below are the top beauty secrets that have been recommended by experts:
1) Sunscreen: Everyone knows that a healthy dose of the sun can help with your complexion and skin care. But what the beauty industry doesn’t tell you is that sunscreen is necessary. Cosmetics expert Mamie McDonald states that trying to achieve a healthy complexion without sunscreen will not work. Another expert, Dr. Lancer, advises people to use sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30.
2) Don’t Over Dry Your Skin: If your skin has inflammation, you do not want to use anti-spot creams. They contain benzoyl peroxide, which will dry the skin, aggravate it and inflame it even more. Instead, experts like Dr. Harold Lancer recommend using lactic or salicylic masks. This is one of the most hidden beauty secrets you don’t know.
3) Always Remember Your Neck: If a woman’s concerned about how old she looks, she might want to take a look at her neck. The skin on the neck is extremely thin. This means women need to take care of it like they do their face.
4) Use An Ice Cube On Your Skin: To avoid a dull complexion, Dr. Ava Shamban, a dermatologist out of Santa Monica, advises using an ice cube. Rubbing it for a few seconds will stimulate circulation and can even help your skin glow. I bet you this was number one of the beauty secrets you don’t know.
5) Storing Your Accessories Properly: Most people are told to store their beauty accessories in the bathroom. Dr. Debra Jaliman warns people that this is not the correct way to do it. The humidity makes them expire quicker than the expiry date, she states. An alternative is to store face creams and beauty accessories in the fridge.
6) Clean Everything That Touches Your Skin: Dr. Lancer advises everyone to clean any object that will touch their face. You wouldn’t touch your face with dirty hands, so why would you with other things? Dr. Lancer says you should change pillowcases at least once a week. If you have naturally oily skin, change them every three days.
7) Avoid Using Scrubs and Sponges: Skincare specialist Christie Kidd advises people who are prone to acne to avoid using scrubs and sponges. Another one of the beauty secrets you don’t know is when you use these skin care items, they irritate the skin and cause more inflammation. So for those prone to acne, try using a water-and-aspirin paste on your face.
8) Facial Massages Are Beneficial: For those trying to get rid of the dark circles under the eyes, experts recommend a lymph drainage massage. The massage will stimulate the lymph flow and smooth the skin, and the result is the bags disappearing.
9) Hand Care: One of the beauty secrets you don’t know is hand care. The skin on your hands is just as thin as the skin on your neck and face. If you’re doing household work, try using gloves. Also try to moisturize your hands with natural, organic cream. Your hands touch your face more than anything, so you’ll want them clean.
10) Don’t Go to Bed With Makeup On: Women that go to bed with makeup on are blocking their pores and causing inflammation. It’s plain and simple, clean your skin thoroughly before going to bed.
11) Take Your Bra Off Before Bed: Even if you had a late night and you’re exhausted, always take off your bra before bed. If you keep them on, it will cut the blood circulation. It will also cause the skin to become irritated and the skin under the straps will become darkened.
12) Drink More Water: According to Debbie Strong, senior health editor at Everyday Health, the best thing to do for your skin is to drink more water. Hydration helps keep your skin moisturized and glowing, boost your metabolism, and keeps your energy levels up.
13) Layer Your Eyeliner: Getting your wing perfect is a struggle that most people who wear makeup can relate to. To get that straight edge just right, Ysolt Usigan, beauty and style contributor at Huffington Post recommends lining your eyes with a pencil liner first because it’s easier to get the line straight. Afterward, go over the line with a liquid liner. This will ensure that your wing is sharp and it’ll also increase the staying power.
14) No Powder: After the age of 35, avoid wearing any powder. According to freelance style and beauty editor Ingrid Schmidt, the powder will settle into the wrinkles around your eyes and mouth and will instantly age your skin.
15) Maintain Your Blowout: To keep your blowout looking fresh, pull it up in a top knot and secure it with pins before you sleep. This will help keep the volume, texture, and shape in order. In the morning undo the pins and add a little dry shampoo to your roots.
16) Warm Your Lash Curler: Want longer lashes without having to put on fake lashes or get lash extensions? Use a lash curler! A good beauty secret you may not know, according to Alexis Wolfer, editor-in-chief of TheBeautyBean.com, is to run your lash curler under warm water or blast it with your blowdryer. The heat will help the curl last longer.
17) Combat Yellow Nails: If you notice your nails getting yellow after applying too much dark polish, Roxanna Sarmiento, beauty and style blogger at everydaytreats.com recommends scrubbing your toenails with a nail brush and whitening toothpaste to get rid of the yellowness.
18) Spray Toner: To sop up oil and refresh your makeup, Eva Scrivo, owner of New York City salon suggest lightly spritzing your face with toner then patting it with a tissue. Finish off by dusting some loose powder if needed.
19) Prevent Your Eye Shadow From Creasing: To keep your shadow from creasing, you have to eliminate as much oil from your lids as possible. Marie Claire magazine recommends using an eyeshadow base or pressed powder on your eyelids first before applying color. The looser the powder, the better.
20) Blush Will Never Fail You: And finally, nothing will help you look more awake after a sleepless night than blush. There is just no better beauty secret. According to Marie Claire magazine, if you are in a rush and don’t have time for a full face, consider getting a cream blush or a cheek stain. It’ll help you look wide awake, last longer than a powder blush (especially on an otherwise makeup-free face), and will give your face a more natural-looking flush!